Who is a carer?
A carer is a person of any age who provides unpaid care and support to a spouse, partner, relative, friend or neighbour, who cannot manage to live independently without the carer’s help. This may be due to frailty, illness, disability or addiction.
The support a carer provides can include:
Providing emotional support
Acting as a representative for the person being cared for
Help with cooking and shopping
Moving and handling
Help with personal hygiene
Supporting with medication
Who is a Carer?
In October of last year, CoWL began an exciting initiative with West Lothian College. A team of Creative Media students started a work placement with CoWL. Their task? To produce and complete a creative media piece of work for us. And 5 months later we are thrilled to share their hard work!
SVQ students Caitlyn and Hafsa have created a short video on ‘who is a carer’.
Due to the COVID restrictions all their work placement has taken place online and under such difficult circumstances we think that Caitlyn and Hafsa have created an informative and interesting short video.
Please share this with family, friends and colleagues. “Very well done to all involved!”
Who is a Carer Video
How we support carers
We are here to provide information, advice and a listening ear whenever you want to talk. We can provide one to one or group support to help you to:
- Improve your overall health and wellbeing and to access our range of course, activities and classes for carers
- Access training and support to help you feel more confident supporting your loved one and to help cope with stress
- Better manage your caring role alongside your own life, work and interests and to access short breaks funding
- Manage your finances, ensure you are accessing all relevant benefits and support you to obtain Power of Attorney
- Access our carer counselling service
- Give your views about services and support
Use the button below to go to our Referrals page
Other support and advice services
HELP OUT OF HOURS
West Lothian Council Social Work Services - website WLC Social Work
Out of Hours Emergency Service 01506 281028 / 281029
West Lothian Council main number 01506 280000
West Lothian Council Social Work Services 01506 282252
Open Monday - Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm
Telephone: 01506 448000
© Carers of West Lothian | website designed and built by braw.scot