Who is a carer?
A carer is a person of any age who provides unpaid care and support to a spouse, partner, relative friends or neighbour, who cannot manage to live independently without the carer’s help. This may be due to frailty illness, disability or addiction.
The support that a carer provides can include:
- Providing emotional support
- Acting as a representative for the person being cared for
- Help with cooking and shopping
- Moving and handling
- Help with personal hygiene
- Supporting with medication
What can the carers centre do for me?
Carers of West Lothian is a carer led voluntary organisation and charity which aims to improve the quality of life of unpaid carers by providing information and services to support carers in their role.
The information below provides a brief overview of some of the services and help available to carers. If there is anything specific, no matter how small, that you would like information or help with, or if you just need someone to chat to about your carting situation, please get in touch with us.
How can we support carers?
We are here to provide information, advice and a listening ear whenever you want to talk. We can provide one to one or group support to help you to:
- Improve your overall health and wellbeing and to access our range of course, activities and classes for carers
- Access training and support to help you feel more confident supporting your loved one and to help cope with stress
- Better manage your caring role alongside your own life, work and interests and to access short breaks funding
- Manage your finances, ensure you are accessing all relevant benefits and support you to obtain Power of Attorney
- Access our carer counselling service
- Give your views about services and support
Carers of West Lothian produces a variety of publications such as a Carers Information book which is a comprehensive guide to support and services in West Lothian. Our quarterly newsletter is another great way to keep up to date with what’s going on at Carers of West Lothian.
Visit our Contact page to register to receive the newsletter, or to email us using the contact form to register as a carer and we will send you a copy of our Information for Carers book.
Contact Carers of West Lothian for further information:
Carers of West Lothian,
LIVINGSTON, EH54 6AX
Telephone: 01506 448000
Carers of West Lothian Carers Centre is open from Monday to Friday 9am to 3pm.
Registered Scottish Charity No. SC019628
Carers of West Lothian
Help out of Hours
Social Work Out of Hours Emergency Service
01506 281028 / 281029
Childline - 0800 1111
NHS 24 – 111
West Lothian Council - 01506 280000
St John’s Hospital - 01506 523000
Samaritans - 08457 90 90 90